Flat or glossy, that is the question. When it comes to paint finishes, you might feel like you can do whatever you want. Paint is paint – right?
Photo: United Soybean Board
Unfortunately, not quite. Bauen has some words of wisdom that will help you make informed decisions and save you from headaches down the road.
- Be conscious of moisture levels in the room. If you are painting an area that has moisture build-up, such as a bathroom, use paints that prevent water absorption.
- What’s your room usage? If you have little ones running around the place, you won’t want to paint walls matte. Matte paint absorbs stains.
- Not-so-smooth surfaces? The glossier you go the more pronounced imperfections will be due to light reflecting off the surfaces.
- Whats your style? Even though there is some practicality that needs to be considered, you can play up your dramatic side with super glossy walls and trim.
There are so many brands! What do I buy?
The verdict is still out there on the best brand of paint. Not because there isn’t one, but because there are so many factors, including personal preferences, that it is difficult to for everyone to come to a consensus. If you ask 10 professional painters, you will probably get at least 3 different answers.
- Budget – The biggest determinent of your paint purchase. You will pay up for better quality. Better quality means fewer coats that need to be applied.
- Accessibility – You might be limited to what is located in your area.